If you recruit staff and/or volunteers into the children and young people’s workforce, you would benefit from training in safer recruitment practices. This course examines effective methods in working towards safer recruitment processes. Organisations and individuals who work with children and young people, or are involved in providing services for them, have a duty to safeguard and promote their welfare.
In particular, schools and education settings are accountable for safeguarding children when recruiting and selecting staff. Any staff appointment should be made by a recruitment panel with at least one member trained in safer recruitment.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the background why we need to recruit staff safely and the more robust safer recruitment processes (best practice, following the Bichard Inquiry, which looked at the recruitment of Ian Huntley in the Soham case).
- Understand current requirements for safer recruitment in education and all other organisations
Practice Working together/safeguarding children and safer recruitment in.
- Gain awareness of child protection cases that have influenced current policy and procedures around staff recruitment.
- Identify key features of staff recruitment that help deter or prevent the appointment of unsuitable people.
- Consider policies and practices that minimise opportunities for abuse or ensure its prompt reporting.
- Have the ability to review their own organisations’ policies and practices in recruitment with a view to making them safer.
These are principally professionals (managers) and members of the workforce who have particular responsibility for Recruiting staff working with Children. These include operational managers at all levels, leaders or directors in voluntary or independent sector organisations employing staff or with responsibility for commissioning or delivering services. Nominated Safeguarding Children Advisers, named health and education professionals, police, social workers and other professionals needing the in-depth knowledge and skills or working with complex cases.
Participants must have completed the core course – Understanding Safeguarding and Child Protection
SaffronSDGF Social Care Consultants/Trainers; Child Protection Unit and Police
Duration: 1 day
Start Time: 9:00am – 4.00pm
Venue: Emailed in confirmation letter to paid participants
Fees: N15,000 per person