Emotional abuse and neglect are the core of all types of child maltreatment and have the most harmful effects on the physical and psychological development and well-being of children. However, they are considered to be the most difficult to deal with by those who have the responsibility to protect and intervene effectively with children as well as appropriate ways of intervening.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
• Explore and respond to the signs and symptoms of abuse with particular emphasis on Emotional Abuse and Neglect
• Explore the impact parental emotional sensitivity has on children informed by the child’s needs, family history, current relationships and environmental factors.
• Recognize situations where emotional abuse and neglect, including mental ill-health, domestic violence and substance misuse, are impacting on a child’s development
• Refer to research and enquiry findings, including the impact of trauma and stress on parenting capacity; to assist in understanding the powerful energies at play when working with emotional abuse and neglect.
• Explore case scenarios and the process for defining risk
• Discuss attachment theory
• Work creatively with children and their families to build on strengths whilst ensuring the well-being of the child is promoted and professionals work together to achieve positive Outcomes for children and their families
Those who work regularly with children and young people and professionals with particular responsibility for the health and well-being of children. This includes those professionals who come into contact with parents or carers of children, such as: those working with children living with mental health issues or learning disabilities, Child Centred NGO’s, all Health care professionals, hospital and community health staff, family centre workers, teachers, education welfare officers, social workers, child minders, those working with children in residential and day care settings, Nominated Safeguarding Children Officers and Advisers, police and other professionals needing the in-depth knowledge and skills to safeguard and protect children
Participants must have completed the core course – Understanding Safeguarding and Child Protection
SaffronSDGF – Social Care Consultants/Trainers
Duration: 1 Day
Time: 9:00am – 4:00pm
Venue: Emailed in confirmation letter to paid participants
Fees: ₦10, 000 per person